Tuesday 24 May 2016

Cross-country Action by Daisy M

Cross-country Action by Daisy M

On Tuesday May 24th, the West Melton cross country team set off in a bus for Halswell Quarry to compete in the Lincoln Zones Cross Country. 

The weather was cold and dreary. It looked like it might rain all day. 

Years 5&6 completed a 2km course and Years 7&8 a 3km course. 

My race was the fifth race of the day. At the starting line I was nervous - my heart was beating so fast and I had butterflies in my tummy. The starting clappers seemed to take forever. And then we were off… The course was really muddy so I went around the mud to avoid slipping over! My plan for the race was to sprint for the first one km, then keep my pace for the rest. I felt I did really well. 

I came 11th but was aiming for the top ten. This means I have qualified for Canterbury’s. There were others in our team that also qualified such as Isla M (who came first Yr 6 girl), Stacey M (3rd Yr 5 girl) and Max S (3rd Yr 5 boy). 

The team had a fabulous day.